A few weeks ago I was at a birthday party of one of my favorite humans and one of the birthday cakes was this vegan carrot cake. It was so moist and delicious and I knew instantly: I had to try to bake it at home. As with all of my recipes, this one is oil free, sugar free, vegan and full of healthy ingredients. So enjoying it gets even more fun!
What is so great about this recipe is how easy it is. After I made it for the very first time, I was so surprised how well it turned out to be. I am all about simple and quick preparation that saves me some time for my favorite activities: yoga, reading or spending time with loved ones. (That also includes my animal friends, of course!)
Since this is a carrot cake, we have quite a lot of carrots inside of it. But that’s a good thing as firstly, they are so rich in nutrients such as Vitamin C, Beta Carotene and Vitamin K1. Which are all amazing components for our brain, our eyes and our heart. Secondly, the carrot cake gets so extremely moist it is almost addictive. And thirdly: you can get carrots all year round which makes this cake a perfect dessert for all seasons.
The Cashew Cream is also super easy to make: All you need is cashews, lemon peel, vanilla extract and something to sweeten it up. So something like dates, maple sirup or stevia. I was so surprised how well it turned out!
This amount is for one big tin, if you want to bake it in a cake form, use half the amount
For the dough you’ll need:
500 gr oats (or any kind of flour you like)
6-8 dates (depending on how sweet you want it to be)
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of ground ginger
100 gr ground almonds
5 tsp ground flaxseeds
600 gr carrots
6 tbsp apple sauce
100 gr of cashews
50 ml almond milk
For the cashew cream:
200 gr of cashews
peel of a lemon
lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 tsp vanilla extract
sweetener of your choice (dates, maple sirup , etc)
70 ml almond milk
- Soak the cashews for the cream over night
- Mix the oats (or flour), cinnamon, dates, almonds, ginger, flaxseeds, chopped cashews together
- Chop the carrots and blend them up. (I used a high speed blender)
- Blend the carrots, apple sauce, flour mix, lemon juice and lemon peel together and add the almond milk
- Bake the dough for about 20- 25 minutes at 180°C
- Meanwhile blend the soaked cashews, vanilla extract, lemon peel, lemon juice and sweetener. Add the almond milk
- Refrigerate the cashew cream for about 30 minutes to thicken up
- Let the dough cool down after it is finished baking
- Cover the dough with the cashew cream and sprinkle some more cashews or lemon peel if you like
I hope you enjoy the carrot cake just as much as I did. Let me know how you like it!